33 things to do while detoxing
Since I’m getting ready for my 3-day cleanse over the weekend, I made a list of all the things I could do instead of focusing on food. Even though it is a very gentle cleanse, on the second day I will be drinking just water with lemon or herbal teas. So I’m a little scared about how that will go. I know people who feel just the same as always. Others describe euphoria and energy. What I dread is that I will suffer from detox symptoms like headaches, grouchiness, and…lots of bathroom visits.
In preparation for what could be a trying weekend, I’ve made a list of things to do to keep myself focused and sane. It’s not much different than what I might do on a normal weekend, but I’ve picked out some more nurturing activities to baby myself as well as some decluttering / purging activities to mirror what I’ll be doing for my digestive system.
1. Read some good books.
2. Watch movies.
3. Spend time with friends who are also cleansing for some peer support.
4. Meditate / medinap (aka meditating myself into a nap and napping myself into a meditation and back)
5. Declutter one drawer–no huge expectations! One little drawer is enough.
6. Take bath with epsom salt and apple cider vinegar
7. Sweat out toxins in a sauna
8. Deep – condition my hair with some luscious olive oil.
9. Find a partner and give each other a massage.
10. Steam my face.
11. Put on an edible face mask like jelly + honey or avocado + honey. No use putting chemicals on your skin when you’re trying to detox, honey!
12. Call friends
13. Turn off the cell phone
16. Restorative yoga to get the blood moving.
17. Unpack and try on all my spring season clothes–set aside the ones I don’t absolutely love for donation / clothing swap.
18. Dance to my favorite song.
19. Dance again to my favorite song one hour later.
20. Photograph myself to remember the journey.
21. Sort out my tax papers!
22. Throw out medicine that has expired.
23. Throw out old makeup that I haven’t used in a year. Except that I use makeup about once a year. Should I really buy makeup once a year? Someone should come up with a 5-time use makeup kit for people like me.
24. Stay in bed all day!
25. Stay in my apartment all day
26. Unplug the internet
27. Go to bed early
29. Laugh for as long as possible and time myself.
30. Revisit resolutions I made in January and see how much progress I made or did not make.
31. Walk outside.
32. Plant a seed.
33. Give myself a big, long hug.
Let me know in the comments below if you’ve done a detox or cleanse before and how you’ve coped!