Have you ever heard of Ayurveda? It’s a sister science to yoga whose name literally means “knowledge of life.”
Ayurveda is now used mainly as a holistic healing method, whose overarching goal is staying in balance with the nature around us and with our inner nature.
According to Ayurveda, nature and we are all made up of different combinations of five elements–earth, water, fire, air, and ether. Our internal combinations of the elements determine what energy rules our body and mind. These energies are called doshas, of which there are three : vata, pitta, and kapha.
Since these doshas affect our personality and our health, knowing your dosha would help you know what food, exercise, working environment, schedule and so on would give you the best physical, mental, and emotional health.
For example, if your dominant dosha is fiery and sharp pitta, then you need to calm and cool down to balance it out.
On the other hand, if your dominant dosha is energetic and scattered vata, then you need structure and grounding to remain balanced.
If you’re slow and steady like an elephant, as a kapha you need get moving and eat light foods.
- what doshas are, Ayurvedically speaking
- how to figure out your or other people’s dosha through what you/they look like
- how to identify other people’s dosha through their emails in less than five minutes
- the best way to communicate as a yoga teacher with each dosha type to address their learning styles
Want to learn more about Ayurveda? Here are your ACTION STEPS:
- Find out what your dosha type is by taking Monica’s dosha test.
- As Monica mentioned, summer is pitta season. Find out more about how to stay cool in the summer in her free magazine Seasonal Bloom for Pitta. This also applies to pitta people.
- If you’re a kapha, check out her Seasonal Bloom for Kapha.
- If you’re a vata or know a vata, download the comprehensive guide to vatas.
- Learn more about ayurveda through Monica’s radio show archives.
Do you have any specific questions for Monica? Then get in touch with her through her website and blog Hey Monica B. She loves hearing your feedback!
As for me, I’m curious–what dosha are you?
I’m definitely a pitta and still figuring out if I have some vata or kapha in me…if you know me, what dosha do you think I am?
Let me know in the comments below please!
Photo and illustrations by Monica Bloom
Category: Active Hands Yoga, Yoga Solutions, Yogis Talk Radio Show ⇔ Tags: ayurveda, dosha, healing, kapha, kapha vata pitta yoga, mp3, pitta, radio show, teaching yoga, vata, yoga student ⇔ No Comments